If your doctor says you have a medical condition that requires surgery, a lot of questions and concerns can start swirling through your mind. Here at Woman’s Hospital, we can answer those questions and reduce your concerns.
One way we put our patients at ease is by offering the most advanced surgical techniques, performed by some of the best surgeons and support staff in the nation. In recent years, one of the most talked-about technologies is robotic surgery, and specifically, the da Vinci™ Surgical System. We have more than two dozen surgeons trained to operate the da Vinci system, which is used in hospitals around the world. The system combines robotic arms, computer technology, and a 3D camera to allow doctors to perform some of the most delicate surgery imaginable.
Let’s look at some of the benefits this revolutionary surgery system offers:
- Da Vinci surgery is minimally invasive, meaning it requires much smaller incisions than traditional open surgery, which reduces scarring. Yet it also allows for more complex operations than laproscopic surgery, the other minimally invasive surgical procedure. Doctors report that da Vinci offers them increased range of motion and dexterity than laproscopy. That enhanced precision is particularly important when surgeons operate around vital organs, such as the bladder.
- With the da Vinci Surgical System, patients typically experience less pain, faster recovery times, and a quicker return to regular activities than with other forms of surgery.
- Blood loss during a da Vinci surgery is reduced compared to other surgical methods; with a hysterectomy, the reduction can be more than 75 percent, compared to traditional open surgery.
- For gynecological cancers, the da Vinci system gives doctors a better way to dissect and remove lymph nodes.
- With some procedures, da Vinci patients may experience better clinical results than with open surgery or laproscopy.
Our surgical staff uses the da Vinci Surgical System for hysterectomies, some cancer operations, and general surgery. To find out more about da Vinci procedures at Woman’s Hospital and the surgeons who perform them, click here. If you or a loved one needs surgery, let us help you explore if robotic surgery works for you, so you can take advantage of all the benefits it may provide.