Take a class to prepare for your big day.
When you learn you’re pregnant, you know you’ll go through lots of changes in the months to come. Then you have to prepare for D-Day—Delivery Day—and what follows. Many moms-to-be find taking a childbirth class offers the knowledge and support they need to be ready.
What can you expect to learn in a childbirth class? These topics will be covered:
- the normal progressions of a pregnancy
- relaxation and coping techniques
- signs that you’re going into labor
- when to call your doctor as labor approaches
- ways to handle pain
- tips for how your partner can help when you go into labor
- possible complications when giving birth and how your medical team will handle them
- what happens during a Cesarean delivery
- basics of breastfeeding and caring for your newborn
Classes usually include videos, lectures, and exercises for students to perform.
Many childbirth class instructors are certified by the International Childcare Education Association. The organization offers three certification programs, including one for instructors already certified in a particular type of prenatal care or childbirth method, such as Lamaze. The Lamaze method stresses a natural, healthy approach to childbirth. Its six basic tenets are:
- Let labor begin on its own.
- Walk, move around, and change positions throughout labor.
- Have a loved one with you.
- Try to avoid interventions that are not medically necessary.
- Avoid giving birth on your back, and follow your body’s urges to push.
- Keep your baby with you—it’s best for you, your baby, and breastfeeding.
Here at Woman’s Hospital, we offer a variety of classes that cover pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn-care concerns. These include:
- car seat safety
- infant CPR/safety
- sibling class for children age 3-10
- general childbirth issues, which include the ones described above
As an added bonus, classes are free for women who plan on delivering their newborns at the hospital. Click here for more information on our maternity services, or here for specifics on our current classes. At Woman’s Hospital, we're ready to help every step of the way during your pregnancy and childbirth.